Frequently Asked Questions About Lymphatic Drainage Therapy Sessions
How does lymph drainage therapy work?
The lymphatic system is responsible for handling and neutralizing toxins and wastes created from food, pollution and our own body's daily cellular activities. It is also responsible for housing and transporting immune cells. Lymphatic Drainage Therapy works to help recirculate body fluids, stimulate functioning of the immune system, and balance the autonomic nervous system.
How do I know if I can benefit from lymph drainage therapy?
Lymphatic Drainage Therapy can be beneficial by helping to:
- Reduce swelling from injuries or surgeries. (great to do pre and post surgical or dental procedures)
- Relieve chronic inflammation and conditions such as acne, eczema, and allergies.
- Stimulates the immune system for preventive and therapeutic effects. In other words, it is great for general body maintenance.
- Detoxification of the body.
- Relief of chronic pain (Many times a client will believe they need a deep tissue massage for pain relief when it is the trapped fluid in the muscles causing the pain. Deep work flattens the lymph vessels and doesn't drain the fluid.)
- Reduction of symptoms of chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia.
- Alleviation of adipose and cellulite tissue.
How should I prepare for for my session?
- Starting a few days before the session it is good to drink a lot of water or fresh natural juices to prepare the system for cleansing. Don't force yourself, just be sure you are well hydrated.
- Wear comfy cotton clothing. Women should wear a sports bra. A lymphatic session is fully clothed unless it is being incorporated as part of a massage session.
- Eat lightly on the day of your session. This is a great opportunity to begin a detox diet for a few days as well.
- Your massage therapist's touch will often be very light to moderate (just enough pressure to stretch the skin) but the treatment should never elicit pain or discomfort.
- Your therapist will concentrate on several key areas of your lymphatic system: neck, armpits, abdomen, hips. Organs such as the liver and kidneys will also be addressed in addition to any areas of complaint.
- You may experience sensations on the table as lymph fluids begin to move (tingling, coolness in fingers and toes, digestive noise).
What should I do and how will I feel after the session?
The list below are only a FEW of the more common healing responses that may be experienced shortly after your session:
- The body may feel clean, light, and pure.
- The mind may be clear, sharp, and expanded.
- Some joints may spontaneously "adjust" themselves as the reduction in fluid allows for better alignment.
- Sometimes, as you detox, you may briefly feel sluggishness, nausea, muslce aches, pain and fatigue. These symptoms do not last and are a sign of healing.
- Temporary increase in urination and bowel movements possibly more odorous.
- Temporary change in your body odor. Increased sweat.
- Deeper and more restful sleep. Maybe wanted a nap in the day.
- Sinus and Ear Drainage.
- Reductions in swelling and headaches.
What are the benefits of several sessions?
Over time the following benefits may occur:
- Weight loss with a reduction in adipose and cellulite tissue.
- Reduction in water retention.
- Reduction or elimination of your chronic pain.
- Reduction of your skin conditions and allergies.
- Increased energy.
- Increased metabolism.
- Reduction of PMS symptoms.
- Improved range of motion in your joints.
- Stronger immune system function and illness prevention.
- Regeneration or youthfulness of skin tissue.